Saturday, January 17, 2015

The Brain Science Podcast: The brain brought to you by the people who actually study it.

First, a bit of a acknowledgement: 

Ginger Campbell wrote a very nice review of my book which
Ginger Campbell, MD
ended up on the book's cover. I asked her to write it because I love her podcast; The Brain Science Podcast


The podcast, which is usually in interview form, is an incredible resource for anyone interested in the brain. Ginger Campbell, the creator/director, interviews lions of neuroscience at the top of their game. I rarely find myself lost in her question and answer tête-à-tête. She strikes the perfect middle ground where you understand what they're talking about but it's not simplified into mush.

In the negotiation to get her to write a blurb for my book, she floated the idea of me being interviewed on the Brain Science Podcast, to which I spat my coffee all over the computer screen. Sure, interview a whole bunch of people who are teetering on the verge of a Nobel, and then interview me. I've decided I'm a "science communicator." And in this regard me and Dr. Campbell have a lot in common. She's not a neuroscientist, she's not a neurologist, as I understand it she's an ER MD (see her update to this, below). So it's been sheer curiosity that has driven her to the brain. And we have that in common. Every other organ in the body is known-- right down to its molecular structure, we know what's going on. But the brain is not only unknown, it's really unknown. 

Stroke has been the fascination of scientists since Hippocrates. Dr. Campbell has done several episodes on stroke but almost all the episodes has something relatable to stroke.


Please note, there is a link to the podcast on the right hand column (→) 


Here is Dr. Campbell's input on this entry...



"After spending over 20 years as an emergency physician I am now doing a Fellowship in Hospice and Palliative Care Medicine at the University of Alabama School of Medicine.

However, I do need to clarify the difference between Free and Premium episodes, which I hope you will pass on to your readers.

The 25 most recent episodes are ALWAYS free. This represents about 2 years of content. Free episodes are available in iTunes, Stitcher, and most other podcasting apps.

There is some limited Premium Content in iTunes, but this is from 2010 when I was experimenting with making Premium versions of new episodes. (I also had CD's of these but they didn't sell so I quit after 3 episodes (65-67).

The Premium subscription ($5/month) gives people unlimited to all the back episodes PLUS episode transcripts. Details at http://brainsciencepodcast.com/premium. I also offer all these episodes and transcripts for $1 each. These have been more popular than expected.

Access to the Premium content is via a special webpage and/or via the mobile APP, which is now free.

I have gotten a few complaints about putting some of my content behind a Pay wall, but many more listeners appreciate having an easy way to support my work. I don't make that much but since I took a 50% paycut to pursue my Fellowship in Palliative Medicine, every little bit helps!

One other thing: even the premium episodes contain Audible ads because there is no easy way to remove this."

1 comment:

Tamara said...

I remember hearing this podcast years ago with dr. Merzenich, who said: "If you put the work in, over a period of time, there is almost no limit to the amount of recovery you can have." Loved that.

Blog Archive