Saturday, February 7, 2015

Bobath NDT: The bashing continues!

I know, I know, I bash NDT and Bobath a lot. I bash bloodletting too because it doesn't, whatchamacallit...work. That's it, work. It has the problem of not working. It is ineffective. It is devoid of efficacy. It is incapable of helping.

For a long time me and some colleagues in research got a ton o' backlash when we pointed out that the bird was dead. But more recently, PTs and OTs have generally got the message that its so dead, its starting to stank.

You know things are bad when Wikipedia turns on you! When you read this, have a look at two things: 1: The opening paragraph. 

Its almost like the million Wile E. Cayote cartoons where he runs off the cliff and tries midair to run back to the cliff. 2: the rest of the page. Scath. Ing. 

7 comments:

Elizabeth, John, Jack, and Luke said...

Its hard for me to understand how bobath got any traction to begin with. How does something with no significant research, efficacy/proven success get embraced by anyone? Especially considering the complete lack of support or encouragement for something with mountains of evidence, and proven success. It boggles my mind why meditation is still considered "experimental" and is not a requirement in all rehab programs. Its just crazy, really!!!

Rebecca Dutton said...

I am NDT certified and have not found it helpful as a stroke survivor. A post on my blog explains why. http://homeafterstroke.blogspot.com/2012/01/the-flexion-synergy-is-good-and-bad.html

Peter G Levine said...

Thanks Rebecca. It looks like you channeled an article I wrote in 2007: http://physical-therapy.advanceweb.com/Article/For-Stroke-Recovery-More-is-Better-1.aspx

SSTattler said...

I was a patient and my physiotherapy both of us agreed that Bobath is not for me! BUT I love Monty Python...

Rebecca Dutton said...

I love your idea that "Massed practice beats massed synergies." Being forced to use my hemiplegia over and over at home because I live alone was a great way to extend what my therapists started.

Anonymous said...

Have any of you seen the recent blog about Bobath by Professor Tyson?
"When EBP (evidence based practice) meets physiotherapy.
It is highly critical of Bobath theory, methods and results. Well worth a read!
https://sarahtphysioblog.wordpress.com/).

Peter G Levine said...

Thanks Roger- I've scanned it a little and it sounds like she's giving voice to my concerns. But, Boy! Are there a lot of words! That's quite a bit to read (6 parts!). But that's one of the big NDT problems: it is so complicated...so to rebut it has to be complicated as well...I guess.

Blog Archive