Saturday, July 25, 2015

Shortened Achilles? Here's an option.



There are 3 reasons drop-foot happens:

1. Stroke is a brain injury. The brain injury no longer provides enough "brain power" to  activate the muscle that lift the foot (tibialis anterior).

2. Survivors often have spasticity of the calf muscles. The job of the calf is to cause a "toe down" posture at the ankle. A spastic calf muscle is one that contracts too much, forcing the "toe down" position.

3. Because of both #1 and 2, above, there is often a contracture (permanent shortening) of the calf muscle and the Achilles tendon.

There are a number of aids and shots and exercises and so on to help drop-foot, but I'd like to focus on one option. Its called Percutaneous Achilles Tendon Lengthening.

Quick hits:

  • It is a surgery, often done outpatient and under a local. 
  • Healing takes 6-8 weeks
  • GRAPHIC video here 
  • Its permanent
  • Its effect is (after healing) immediate

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Useful information. Thank you for posting StrokeVictor Bob Mandell

Unknown said...

Hi I am going to have this surgery Nov 5th does it help relieve some of the pain from spasticity and the Achilles tendon being so tight I'm looking forward to getting back to walking but I'm still wondering about pain and I'm nervous about it my surgeon really hasn't talked to me very much could somebody tell me what I can expect after I have the surgery any thoughts or Insight would be greatly appreciated

Blog Archive