Friday, December 14, 2012

The perfect stroke survivor.

So this is weird.... I've been thinking a lot about what would happen if I had a stroke. I'm not the only one in the "stroke recovery game" that has these thoughts. It's an occupational hazard. I had a conversation with another researcher a while ago. He smokes. I said, "Dude: smoking causes stroke." And he said, "Yeah, but if I had a stroke I'm gonna know what to do." Good luck with that.

There actually is a way that allows for certain portion of the brain to be temporarily "stunned." Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) can be used to give a sort of fake stroke. That would be the best way to do it. "Stroke: it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there."

So who would be the perfect stroke survivor? Let's put it this way: You already know this person...

The perfect stroke survivor

The perfect stroke survivor would be male. Outcomes are better for males. Depression hits men less after stroke, and they tend to be both younger and in better shape prior to the stroke.

The perfect stroke survivor would be well educated. Folks who are well-educated get more recovery than the less educated.


The perfect stroke survivor would have significant economic resources. The well-off recover more than then moderate or low income folks.


The perfect stroke survivor would be African-American. African-Americans recover more than Caucasians and/or Puerto Ricans.

So, Who would be the perfect person to have a stroke?

3 comments:

oc1dean said...

But I already warned him about not having a stroke and I'm sure he listened to my advice. I think you need to add having a hemorrhagic rather than ischemic stroke.
Dean

oc1dean said...

Pete, have your researcher friend look at my fMRI and have him describe exactly how he would recover from that, its not one of those minor strokes. If he knows more about this than I do I want to hear about it. No use of fish oil, draculin or beet juice in the immediate aftermath. Dean

Peter G Levine said...

Dean: about a hemorrhagic stroke: That defines the stroke, not the person. I was trying to build the perfect recovery machine.

As far as your recovery, I don't need to tell you this: every stroke is different. If I were in your situation I would look to robotics. They're only usually available in major rehab hospitals. I also look for clinical trials in my area. I think I might post a link on the blog for clinical trials. Happy holidays MBFAM.

Blog Archive